Friday, September 05, 2008

pregnancy and cancer treatment: more questions than answers

This past weekend, the New York Times published an article by Pamela Paul called “With Child, With Cancer.” I had to set it aside for several days before I could bring myself to read it. When I finally did, I was very moved, equally surprised and left with many unanswered questions.

I did not enjoy being pregnant. I was plagued with constant, low level nausea, heartburn and crushing fatigue for the duration of my pregnancies. I was also affected by what I later learned was ante-natal depression (this lifted almost immediately upon giving birth. My spouse swears that my first post-partum words were, “I’m so happy not to be pregnant anymore!” He exaggerates only slightly). I also found myself to be in a constant fog (not unlike the effects of chemotherapy) and that coherent thought was often just beyond my reach.

During those periods, deciding what to eat for breakfast was a challenge. I cannot imagine having to deal with the kind of life and death decisions faced by a woman dealing with a diagnosis of breast cancer while pregnant.


You can read the rest of this post at MyBreastCancerNetwork.Com.

1 comment:

Ryan Armbrust said...

I didn't want to send this to you via your comment section, but I could not find your contact info.

Love your blog.
I was diagnosed with Stage IV Hodgkin's back in December of 2006 and have just finished 10 months of chemo. I took time off from my day job to get through this whole "Cancer" thing. In my spare time, I created an online T-Shirt and Swag shop called http://www.funnycancershirts.com.

They are selling really well, but any exposure I can get would help. Can you please add my banner to your great website? Link info can be found in the lower left corner of the website.
I was sick and tired of looking for "Cancer" t shirts and only finding "Feel Good" stuff. My shirts are for the young hipster cancer set. Please give them a look. http://www.funnycancershirts.com

For more of my story, visit my fancy cancer blog. http://igotthecancer.blogspot.com


Thanks for your consideration,
Ryan Armbrust