Friday, November 07, 2008

procrastination pays off


If you've been reading this blog for a while, you may remember this blanket. Some of you occasionally ask me about it.

I have never sown it together. All 120 pieces still sit in a big basket in my bedroom.
Sometimes, I refer to it as my 120 potholders.

This blanket, however, has recently served to teach me a valuable lesson.


Last week end, I was fortunate to spend some time with my friends Jacqueline and John in Philadelphia (they came all the way from New York to hang out with me). During our visit, we talked a bit about my book. I told them that I was feeling lukewarm about the cover design (we were considering stepping stones. I loved the idea we were trying to convey of an unfinished journey but was finding the image a bit new agey). Both of my friends gave it the thumbs down.


I asked if they had any other ideas and Jacqueline asked if I had an image that was more personal, that meant something to me (and to which I owned the rights) that I could use.

I was doubtful.


That night, after we went back to our respective hotel rooms, Jacqueline went into my Flickr images and came up with an amazing concept:
"i love the metaphors for:
blankets
and
knitting.
the optical illusions of the patterns
the imperfections
the coming together
and
the
possibility of
unraveling.
the warmth
and comfort.
the perspective of the image implies a path but the image is more personal and ALL YOURS."
She had made three different mock-ups from the photo above that included my title and name.

I love it!


My editor loves it.


The design/marketing team love it.


There was only one problem. The photo isn't high resolution enough to use, so I have to re-take some pics this week end.


The moral of this story? Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off for a whole year.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, beautiful! So you will photograph it still in pieces? Perfect.

The colors are lovely, very cozy. I'm amazed you were able to keep psycho kitty (qu'est-ce que c'est?) off it long enough to photograph it.

Thank you also for giving me an idea for something to write about today. I was stumped. Of course, I'm always stumped, but let's not go there again. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's going to be so cool! (Both as a book cover and as a blanket!)

laurie said...

Thank you both!
And Sara - you made me spit out my latte!!!

Anonymous said...

No latte on the blanket I hope... By the by, I met M and P from Denmark two days ago. Tell youy about it later

Dee said...

I can't wait to see the finished book cover, Laurie! And, I really like that quilt, too. Congratulations!

Mom2Amara said...

How cool! Sounds wonderful!

And btw, I did a whole oration on why procrastination is a good thing. I made it to the state finals in high school based on my arguments :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Laurie, I have a big ass camera if you need some more resolution.

Fabulous idea, BTW.

cmkl

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I bet that will be fabulous! I can't wait to see it!

laurie said...

at this rate the book will be out long before the blanket is finished.

Chris- Thanks! I may yet need to take you up on that.

Mom2Amara - can I get the video of that?