Saturday, January 03, 2009

i love the internet!

I now know what the t-shirt says!

The process by which it was figured out was as interesting as the answer.

There was lots of speculation and many interesting guesses. And Flippy identified it as Japanese kana (as opposed to perhaps more familiar kanji).

Then my friend Mamabunny (who I met at the now defunct Maya's Mom) forwarded the link to her sister, Mikan, who studied Japanese in college (and who writes a great food blog). Mikan was able to provide the answer:

'It basically says "I love" or "I love you" but it's using "degozaru" which an older form of "degozaimasu". It's just an indication of politeness. My roommate likened it to "I love thee."

It may or may not be inspired by Rurouni Kenshin, a Japanese comic, in which the main character is constantly polite to the point of being annoying.'
I guess it's something like the French "Je vous aime," as opposed to the more familiar "Je t'aime."

So the verdict on the t-shirt is that it can be warn whenever S. wants. After all, the world could use a little more love.

3 comments:

The Maven said...

Aha! I'm so glad you got that figured out. I was hoping it wasn't anything to, er, interesting. :P

Anonymous said...

I luv the interwebs!
LOL

Go forth and spread the love, S.!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it had a happy ending. :)

By the way, for entertainment purposes (it was one of the places I asked if they knew what the shirt said...but they didn't), go to Engrish.com. It's perfect for those days when you don't feel like doing anything, but laughing at silly things.