Friday, August 06, 2010

no pink for profit at the run for the cure

We interrupt the regularly scheduled programming to bring you this open letter:

Dear Ottawa area women friends and family,

Last week end, my friend CR and I were talking about doing the Run for the Cure on October 3rd. I suggested forming a team named something along the lines of "We hate pink crap but we hate breast cancer even more."

Elegant slogans were never my forte.

C. reminded me that the brilliant KJ had already come up with "No Pink for Profit." I think this is perfect and I have registered a team with that name. Want to join me? We need ten women (anyone can participate but I'd really like to form a women's team) and you can run it or walk it, raise money or not.

All it would involve on your part would be registering, raising money if you want (or just paying the registration fee) meeting at the start of the run to get your team t-shirt and then either walking or runnning 5k at your pace. Then, as many of us who want to could meet up at the end and go out for a yummy breakfast.

I have a bit of an agenda here, other than the exercise, friendship and a good cause. How cool would it be to have a really large group of women wearing "No Pink for Profit" on their Run for the Cure t-shirts? And if the name is rejected by run organizers (which I truly hope doesn't happen), we have another opportunity for education.

So, what say you? Please feel free to forward this message to any women you know. I want to cast as wide a net as possible.

Laurie

p.s.: You can sign up here.

Update: Less than 24 hours after writing this, there are 12 13 of us signed up and two more who have said that they will. I am over the moon - so moved and happy. There's no limit on team size, so please continue to spread the word. Any woman who wants to join us is welcome.

12 comments:

Lise said...

Hey Laurie
I'm in for October 3rd. Going to sign up right now.
Lise

Nat said...

Ok... I'm in. Do I need to wait for you to register?

How many people do you need for the team? Do you want me to send out a blast to my runner friends?

laurie said...

Great! Thanks so much!

Nat- a few women have already signed up for the team, so you can join us any time. https://secure3.convio.net/cbcf/site/TRR/1388935346

We need 10 for a team and we have enough but you should still send to your runner friends - I would love for the team to be as big as possible.

Lene Andersen said...

I'll be cheering you on in spirit!

(love the t-shirt idea. Do you have to be in the run to get one?)

karlien said...

Great idea Laurie! Off course at the time there is an ocean between me and the run so I won't participate. You could sell the Tshirts and donate all to research...

laurie said...

unfortunately, the t-shirts are the ones that the org gives to participants, with the team name on the back - so i can't share or sell! but it will be great! and we do have buttons. lene, would you like me to send you one?

Amy B said...

I'd love to join you (probably walking, maybe walk/running)

crafts4accause said...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/crafts4acause
Let me know if I can help with pink ribbons for you to wear during your walk! Good luck and stay well.
Kelly

Lene Andersen said...

Oh yes, please!

Maybe you should set up a CafePress store as a side business. T-shirts, buttons, mugs... ;)

Rebecca said...

I should have my passport by then, and Google tells me it's a 9 hour drive. Do I have to speak French? I don't :(

I was looking for an excuse to cross the border and use my passport. Maybe I will scooter up if my health is good!

Just don't tell my doctor... she already thinks I'm crazy :)

angela said...

hey there my friend! i just wanted you to know that because of you, i've started my own little 'pink protest' here too and it's gathering momentum, lol!

be well :)

laurie said...

Rebecca - you definitely don't have to speak French! many of us don't. and you could stay with me!
Princess - so nice to hear from you. and so cool that you are into the no pink thing, too.