Friday, January 28, 2011

welcome to my life

Earlier this week, my friend K. sent me an article from the New York Times that was the best piece of journalistic writing on metastatic breast cancer I've ever read. And I've read a lot on this subject.

I cried when I read it (but as I told K., in a good way) because it resonated so deeply with me, juxtaposing the facts and the experiences of women living with cancer that can never be considered cured. I started to highlight the best bits to share with you here but ended up cutting and pasting more than two thirds of the article.

I've decided that it's best not violate copyright or my own ethics and just post the link and ask you to please go read this article:




5 comments:

Maggie said...

Thanks for sharing this.

I must confess that, even though I often read everything in this section of the NYTimes, I skipped this article because of its headline. But I'm glad to have read it. It's a good, useful piece; I just wish the page editor had resisted the Pink Ribbon temptation.

laurie said...

Yeah - but I took it to be a bit of an ironic thing. I do know what you mean, though.

Lene Andersen said...

that was amazing. I've read your blog for ages and I talk to you, but this gave me a deeper understanding. amazing progress on the one hand, living Under the Shoe on the other. I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

Anonymous said...

Laurie,

J and I both read the article and agreed with your other commentators; they too say it well. The "other shoe" aspect along with having every day as a wonderful victory.

We understand a bit more this afternoon so thanks for sending the link.

Love,

B in T

laurie said...

Yes, I love Lene's way of putting it. I Live Under the Shoe and yes, every day is also a miracle.